Thursday, February 18, 2010

Understanding your BMI

One tool I try to adhere to is the body mass index measurement.  I think this is the most important number when accessing our health.  Not dress/pant size, not pounds or body fat percentage alone, and not body measurements.  Those are all good to know and track, but the BMI is what healthcare professionals use to access your risk for certain health issues, such as risk for suffering a heart attack.

Now, I know you've all heard the term "BMI" but do you really understand what it means? BMI stands for body mass index and is calculated using your height and weight and is an indirect measure of your body fat. The actual formula is: weight (kg) / [height (m)]2. BMI is a reliable screening tool used to show risk for certain diseases. It is not diagnostic - in other words, just because your BMI is high does not mean you have or will develop certain diseases. It simply means that you may be more likely than someone with a lower or "healthy" BMI.


BMI Categories:
  • Underweight = <18.5
  • Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
  • Overweight = 25-29.9
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
My BMI right now is 29.6!  I'm adding an exclamation point for two reasons, one I am overweight.  Two, I am happy because when I began I was obese, with a BMI of 30.7.  Gotta celebrate the little victories!

What is your BMI? Where should you be to be within a healthy BMI? Find out your BMI

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you I had to check to see what my BMI is!
    MY BMI is: 28.9 which is over weight but, like you I was obese! :) Here's to shrinking our BMI's!

    ReplyDelete